It came to a point, with spammers, that I had to remove some of the features we have here at the Windowscollective. I tried hard to manage our Forum, Wiki and Social Net. But it seems that some idiots just can't follow rules!
It was nice we had a Wiki (mediawiki) where our users could help to build a place with information that was useful and informative for everyone. Perhaps some people did not know what a wiki was or how to use it. But that is a poor excuse. Because there was links to information on what the mission was and how to make useful entries. Nevertheless, most of what I saw was being entered was links to pill pushing, porn, on-line pharmacy sites for profit. Surly this was not what was intended for a Wiki. So... I deleted the entire thing. Gone!
As if that was not enough! the bastards thought the Social Net (ELGG) was to used for the same thing. certainly I found some people used it for what I consider a legit purpose. Roughly 3% had used it correctly. but the other 97% of users just thought it was a place to post links to pharmacy, porn and rouge websites. so... completely removed it too.
Now, our Simple machines forum had for several years been a place where users could share information about technical issues, offer technical help and post links to websites that offered tech assistance. It worked out quite well. But all of a sudden, there where 23,000 plus users who used it for.... same junk as the others. So after trying to edit or delete users who where abusing our features, I gave up and just removed the one I was spending so much time fighting. I really do not like to fight. A good argument is good. but I do not have the time to spend hours each week just trying to edit your useless post.
So being this is the Web Republic Of Net Citizens. And I really want to have links to other websites, why did i remove this? It is my belief that people had enough! Enough of YOU, the people who fill our inbox with your spam about some dating hook-up, pharmacy pushing scam and messages about some crap we do not want from you. And I'll be damn if I am going to let you use my website to promote junk I have no interest in at all.